1.11.2009

Where Does the Name Come From?

When I tell people about the gallery, and ultimately the name of the gallery, I usually get a little chuckle in return. I've been told the name is "cute" and that it sounds like something from Harry Potter. I wonder sometimes if the "cuteness" of the name makes people think twice about the seriousness of the gallery's intention, so I would like to address the issue.

Before the gallery became TLGUTS, it was a music school for Latino students. New music school clients would enter the LynnArts office looking for the school; the space is in the lower level of the building, so I would tell them, “it's under the stairs.” The space is small, so “the little gallery” is fitting, but that's not the only reason I used this monikeresque name for the gallery.

I started my career as a photographer. I learned to create imagery in a wet darkroom, when  a select few owned digital cameras. I know the smell of the darkroom and thanks to one of my favorite professors of all time, Alma DeLaronde, I know the history of photography quite well.

One of my favorite artists of all time is Alfred Stieglitz. I regard him not only for his photography, but for his commitment to furthering artists' careers. His gallery space, The Little Galleries of Photo Secession, better known as Gallery 291, showcased O' Keefe and Picasso, among others, when they were relatively unknown in the United States. He also fought to promote photography as a valid form of artistic expression. 

In the vein that Stieglitz used his gallery space to promote art which was unrecognized and rejected on many fronts, TLGUTS not only promotes seasoned artists, but also offers a space for those artists whose innovative work deserves recognition, regardless of current trends. 
For more on this, stay tuned for our upcoming exhibit of Luba Shapiro's work.  
 
Artists who are interested in exhibiting at the gallery should read through the blog and look at the work of artists who have previously exhibited in the gallery before requesting a review of their portfolio for exhibition consideration. Please note that work which tells a personal story is preferred. It may be apparent in the work itself, or in a written piece which accompanies the work, but we do not consider work without a personal narrative element at this time.  

I welcome all artists to submit to upcoming calls for work, with the exception of the current call for work created by mothers, which responds to the significant history of dismissal of mothers' artistic works. 

TLGUTS will continue to be supportive of all artists in any way we can and appreciate the ongoing support of the art community in our efforts to promote visual arts and meaningful dialog through visual arts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Step up to the soap box and let it all out....